One of the strongest arguments in Byske’s favour was that the village was home to a thriving industrial community. The church was designed by city architect N. Boström of Umeå and was given an unusual and distinctive octagonal shape.

Over the years, the church has undergone a number of renovations, but it has never lost its original character. The most extensive changes were made during restorations in 1914 and 1955. In 1914, a stained-glass window was installed above the altar. The paintings in the lantern, or dome, also date from 1914, when central heating and electric lighting were added as well.

In 1955, the stained-glass windows were moved to the south-western and north-western walls. The windows facing west were bricked up, and a new, larger sacristy was built behind them. In 1956, the large organ built by Grönlunds Orgelbyggeri was brought into use.

The altarpiece was painted in 1955 by Torsten Nordberg of Stockholm, who was born in Byske in 1900. Two church bells, weighing 527 kg and 350 kg respectively, have called people to worship since the church was consecrated. They bear the inscription: “Come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.”

The tower clock, dating from 1874, was made by local clockmaker Anders Bergmark.

Source: Bilderbok från Byske, Inga-Lill Andersson.

Click here to view a panoramic photograph of the church interior.

Watch the film from Byske Church’s 150th anniversary. The film has subtitles in English and German.