The Swedish Theological Institute is a meeting place for people in Jerusalem as well as for temporary visitors, from different parts of the world, who are involved in matters concerning religion, culture and dialogue.
The Swedish Theological Institute seeks to further a deeper understanding of the religious traditions in Jerusalem: Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
The Swedish Theological Institute in Jerusalem was founded in 1951. It is located in one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, erected in 1882 in the Street of the Prophets. The building is well-known in Jerusalem as the Beit Tavor and was constructed by the famous architect Conrad Schick. The Swedish Theological Institute is owned by the Church of Sweden, and the premises also host the Chapel of Saint Bridget, where the local Swedish congregation worships.
The Swedish Theological Institute also offers an opportunity to study the many different types of interfaith dialogue which exist in Jerusalem. Since Judaism, Christianity and Islam are scripture-based religions, in-depth study of languages, texts and traditions are of fundamental importance. A professor at Lund University in Sweden, Jesper Svartvik, teaches at the Swedish Theological Institute. His chair is named after Krister Stendahl, the renowned Professor and Dean of Harvard Divinity School, who also served as a Church of Sweden Bishop in the diocese of Stockholm.